|Ships named Europe|
|In ancient Greek mythology, Europe was a Phoenician princess whom Zeus abducted after assuming the form of a dazzling white bull. he took her on the island of Crete. For Homer, Europe was a mythological queen of Crete, not a geographical designation. Later, Europe stood for central-north Greece, and by 500 BC, its meaning has been extended to the lands to the North..|
EUROPE or EUROPA is the name given to several ships, but no one of theses has called in Phoenicia (today Tunisia) or Crete.
HMS EUROPA Diadem class cruiser launched 20 March 1897
by Thompson Clydebank, she was in the fleet in November, 1899..
|A number of liners have been named Europa:
|But the first one to be so called was the hull of a German passenger ship in 1913, later becoming VATERLAND and LEVIATHAN. Which symbol: Europe changed in mother country!|
|Two other ships have been named EUROPA by Norddeutscher Lloyd : ·
| HERMANN was built at Greenock in 1865:
dimensions: 318 ' x 40 ' ; speed 11 knots ; 80/120/500 passengers in 3 classes.
Last voyage Bremen/New-York on 22 December 1892.
EUROPE, built by Ateliers &
Chantiers de La Loire (St Nazaire yards) for Chargeurs Réunis, is launched
on 26 December 1905 for the postal line along the West coast of Africa.
On 22 April 1906 she sailed for her maiden voyage from Le Havre to the African West coast. From January 1915 she is used as auxiliary cruiser by the French Navy. 28 February 1915 she captures the former Hamburg Amerika steamer DACIA in the English Channel and brought her to Brest. On January, 1925, EUROPE runs aground about 30 miles of Lagos, in which she damages her rudder and propellers. She is towed to Dakar, and later to Bordeaux for repairs. In 1930 her tonnage is given by Lloyds as 4838 GRT, 2897 net. In October, 1930 broken up at Dunkirk.
|The first passengers ship "EUROPA" was built in 1928 on the yard Blohm & Voss at Hamburg for Norddeutscher Lloyd at Bremen. Launched 15-08-1928, during fitting out she got serious fire 26-03-1929, sinks at the dock and delivery is delayed for more than one year. She was refloated on14-04-1929 heavily damaged by the fire and the water. Tonnage 49746 GRT, 20308 net. Dimensions 283.5 x 31 m. Powered by four steam turbines, four screws give a speed of 28 knots. On 22-02-1930 trials took place..|
|Passengers accommodation: 687 first, 524 second, 306
tourist and 507 third. Crew 970. 19-03-1930 Maiden voyage from Bremen to New York via Southampton
and Cherbourg. She captures on this voyage the Blue Ribband from her
sister Bremen at the average westbound speed 27.91 knots. In 1933 the Blue
Ribband returns back to Bremen at 27.92 knots!
10-08-1939 leave for her last North Atlantic voyage under German flag, and returns from New York on 23 August .In September 1939, she is laid up at Bremen, used as accommodation ship for the German navy. ln May 1945 she was seized by the invading US Forces at Bremerhaven.
After the war and under management of the American Navy (as AP 177) she made some troop voyages from Europe. May 1946 awarded to France as war compensation, she was sent to Le Havre and transferred by the French Government to the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique (French Line) and renamed "Liberté" : 553 passengers 553 first, 500 cabin and 400 tourist class passengers. Tonnage 51.839 gross. 21.113 net|, 10.420 deadweight ton.
1954 The funnels were heightened.
On 02-1 1-1961 she left Le Havre for her last voyage on the North Atlantic and comes back at le Havre on 16 November 1961. On 25-01-1962 she left Le Havre to be broken up at La Spezia, Italy.
| P&O ordered SS MONGOLIA from W G
Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. Ltd. at Newcastle upon Tyne 22 November
1918, but construction was delayed by post-war refits of the existing
ships and she is not been launched until 24 August 1922. After fitting out
and sea trials, Mongolia is delivered to P&O on April 26th, 1923. Used
for Australia service , her characteristics were 16.576 GRT; 573 x 71 m;
840 tourist class passengers.
She leaves London on her maiden voyage to Sydney on 11 May 1923 and is converted to fuel oil in 1928. In 1938, P&O transfer the ship under long-terme charter to their subsidiary, the New Zealand Shipping Company, who renames her SS RIMUTAKA, third ship of that name, registered at Plymouth. She is reconfigured to carry 840 tourist class passengers. RIMUTAKA suffers a fire in a hold on 9 March 1939 then in September, she is requisitioned for conversion to an armed trade cruiser, but released from that service before the conversion; she remains in UK-New Zealand service for most of the war.
After the hostilities ceased, she continues in the NZSC service on the same route; her last voyage with the company was in 1950, departing Wellington for London in January, 1950. He returns to parent P&O for sale to Compania de Navegacion Incres SA (Incres Shipping Company) of Panama for 95 000 £..
Renamed SS EUROPA, she is converted to take 614 tourist class passengers and placed into service transporting state-less immigrants from Europe to the United States and Canada.
The ship is then renovated in Genoa to become Incres Nassau SS NASSAU, a cruise ship sailing between New York and Nassau, the Bahamas. Swimming pools and other amenities were added, suiting her to her new role. It was the first time a ship was employed year-round as cruise ship.
The ship was purchased in 1961 by Natumex (Mexicana SA de Compania Navegacion Turística), a Mexican state-owned company, to provide a fortnightly service between Acapulco and Los Angeles as ACAPULCO
In 1964 she is towed in Japan for scrap.
Card with cancel "Bombay Foreign paquebot"
|Lloyd Triestino in 1952 took delivery of a new
liner built by Ansaldo
La Spezia, called EUROPA.
She is designed for 446 passengers in 2 classes. Four decks, 2 swimming pools. Lloyd Triestino decides to build two more of the Australia series of ships to be used on the company's Express African service: AFRICA and EUROPA. EUROPA was launched on 21 October 1951. She was completed and departed on her maiden voyage from Trieste to Cape Town in October 1952.
Lloyd Triestino recovers from the two world wars losses and in 1956, the fleet totalled 31 vessels. In the 60s, the services to the Far East and Australia are reorganized when two new passengers vessels, Galileo Galilei and Guglielmo Marconi, are put in service before the company leaves the passengers service.
Specifications: Tonnage : 11,440 GRT Length: 159.3m 523ft Beam : 20.8m 68.2ft - Engines: Sulzer Diesels- FIAT Diesels - Two screws - 16,800 BHP Service speed: 19.5 knots Maximum speed: 21.5 knots Passengers : 148 First - 252 Cabin - 84 Tourist
M/V Europa is sold in September, 1976 to Saudi Arabia. Renamed M/V Blue Sea she is used as a pilgrim and accomodation ship. Sadly, just two months later, she catches fire at Djeddah: all the passengers disembark safely, but the ship sinks at her anchorage during the night of 14 November 1976.
| The Kungsholm III was the first of three twin
funnels "white Vikings", built in l953 for Swedish America Line
transatlantic services and cruising by De Schelde shipyard at Vlissingen,
Netherlands. The leading funnel on all three ships was dummy. Launched on
October 18, 1952, she was not delivered to SAL until September 30, 1953.
12154Gt 11484Nt L600'. B771'1", Dr26'4". Two B & W
diesels. 18100bhp. 2 screws, 19 knots. 785 passengers. On Atlantic line
voyage, she has a relatively small passengers capacity of 802 berths, 176
first class and 626 tourist class passengers. She has a crew of 418.
|Built as cruise ship under yard # 1001 by
Bremer Vulkan, Schiffbau, on 22 December 1980 she is launched under the
name EUROPA. She is the fifth German passenger ship named EUROPA.
Tonnage 37.012 GRT, 13.824 net, 6.506 dwt., dim. 199.92 x 28.5 x 19m.
Draft 8.35m. Propulsion: two MAN-Bremer Vulkan diesel engines,
28.920 bhp, speed 21 knots. Two screws. 1.700 hp bow thrusters. 600
passengers in 316 cabins. Crew 295.
September 25 1981, first trials.
5 December 1981 handed over to Bremer Schiffsverchartering AG and Co. Kg. (Chartered by Hapag-Lloyd AG). On 8 January 1982 she sails from Genoa for her first cruise to the North African ports. Thereafter used for world wide cruising.
29 April 1992 came in collision with the Greek container vessel INCHON GLORY, the EUROPA got a substantial hole above the waterline in her starboard quarter, which damaged the galley and a restaurant, when she was underway for a cruise from Hong Kong to Shanghai, she was not evacuated after the collision. On 01 May she arrived under tow at Kaohsiung. After temporary repairs at Kaohsiung she proceeded to Singapore where she arrived 21 May 1992 for structural repairs by the Sembawang Shipyard. Then she returned to Bremerhaven for outfitting. 07 July 1992 fitting out completed and she sailed out for a new cruise voyage from Bremerhaven.
05 April 1998 Sold to Star Cruises, Nassau, (Megastar Asia Ltd.), Bahamas, chartered by the Hapag Lloyd. 30 June 1999 arrived Hamburg for her last charter voyage for Hapag Lloyd. 01 July 1999 renamed in SUPERSTAR EUROPE, and transferred to Superstar Europe Ltd., Bahamas when a new EUROPA comes in Hapag fleet. 2000, renamed in SUPERSTAR ARIES.
March 2004 Sold to Pullmantur Ship lnvestment Ltd., Bahamas, and renamed HOLIDAY DREAM, under Bahamas flag and registry. June 2006 under Malta flag and registry.
April 2008 Sold to CDF Bleu de France Ltd^, Malta and renamed in BLEU DE FRANCE., managed by Pullmantur Cruises, Madrid, Spain. Passenger accommodation for 7 52, crew 406. The ship is still steaming with success and despite different change of owners seems to be a success.
| In 1999, a new EUROPA comes to succeed
to the previous one sold to Superstar. This vessel, built under yard
No.495 by the Kvaerner Masa Yards Oy at Helsinki, Finland for Hapag-Lloyd
Kreuzfarhten Co.is 28,890 tonnes, 198 metres in length and cruises at 21
knots. Europa carries 408 passengers.
26 June 1998 keel laid down. 04 March 1999 launched under the name EUROPA. crew 270.
She was one of the first ships to be propelled by twin azimuth thrusters, using electric motors rather than shafts to drive the propellers, which reduces vibration markedly. She is registered under the Bahamian flag and owned by Hapag-Lloyd Bahamas, and managed by Hapag-Lloyd Seetouristik at Hamburg, Germany.
She is one of the spacious cruise ships on the market (69.6 GT/Pass) and is intended for the luxury cruise segment of the German speaking market, making worldwide cruises. MV EUROPA of the Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahten Company was the first cruise ship of 2001 to call, when she anchors of Pitcairn on 1st February. It is the 4th ship to be named Europa in the company's history.
For nine years in row, the MS Europa was awarded the title "best cruise ship in the world" by Ward-Ranking. As small cruise ships, she is luxurious and she has the high staff/passenger ratio (some say the highest ratio of any cruise ship sailing today) with about one crew for less than 2 passengers.
|Built under yard No 908 by Gôtaverken Arendal
Ab, Gôteborg, Frederikshavn Linjen, (Sessan Linjen) Gôteborg, this ro-ro
ferry KRONPRINSESAN VICTORIA on 1sth October 198O.Tonnage 14.378 gross,
7.859 net, 3.315 dwt., dim. 149.02 x 26.53 x 7.8m., draught 6.14m. Length
bpp.131.21m. Powered by 412-cyl. Nohab- Wârtsilâ Vasa diesel engines,
20.600 bhp., twin controllable pitch propellers, speed 20.5 knots. Two
bow-thrusters Passenger accommodation for 2.100 passengers, 400 berths,
could carry 700 cars. Ice strengthened. 10 April 1981 delivered to the
Sessan Line.1981 Sessan Line passed under the ownership of Stena Line
acquiring a majority interest. From 13th April 1g81 in service from
Gôteborg to Frederikshavn. ln March 1982 after a refit in the
Gôtaverkens Cityyard at Gôteborg from 07 April 1982 used in the service
from Gôteborg to Kiel, during the summer season also used in the service
between Gôteborg to Frederikshavn.
1986 Stena became managers. April 1988 renamed as STENA SAGA. April 1988 after a refit her tonnage increased to 17.062 gross, 10.053 net, 3.189 dwt. Passenger accommodation reduced to 1.400 with increasing the berths on the upper deck to 1.374 berths, could carry 500 cars.
On 17th May 1988 she was transferred to the service between Oslo-Frederikshavn and Oslo- Frederi kshavn-Gôteborg. On 28th February 1994 she arrived at the yard of Niehuis & van den Berg, Rotterdam where the berths in the upper deck were removed. The new configuration is berths for 520 passengers and capacity of 520 cars.
In 1994 she became the STENA EUROPE on the Harwich-Hook of Holland services but three years later was transferred to the Karlskrona-Gdynia route as Lion Europe, under Bahamas register, when replaced by HSS Stena Discovery. It was a short-lived renaming and on 20th June 1997 transferred to the Polish ship register before becoming in 1998 Stena Europe once again when Stena dropped the Lion Ferry marketing name.
On 31 June 2000 transferred to Bahamas register, homeport Nassau. After a major refit the Stena Europe entered lrish Sea service on the Fishguard - Rosslare crossing on 13 March 2002, replacing the Koningin Beatrix which then transferred to the Karlskrona - Gdynia service as Stena Baltica.
Still in the same service. Her tonnage is now given as 24.828 gross, 8.338 net, 2.692 net. IMO No. 7901760 Owned and managed by the Stena Line UK Ltd.
|Two soiling ships named EUROPA appear on stamps:
|The modern sailing ship EUROPA is a
steel-hulled barque from the Netherlands, originally built in 1911, as a light
vessel at the H.C. Stülcken und Sohn Shipyard in Hamburg Germany.
The original name was "Senator Brockes".
Built as the SENATOR BROCKES, the vessel was initially used as a merchant training ship. She was later converted into a light ship and lay in the ELBE 4 position until 1914. She then became a pilot station from 1916 to 1918 and from 1918 to 1936 she laid in the ELBE 3 position. From October 1942, she was under now command in the Baltic Sea and from July 1945 was located in the ELBE 2 position until she was decommissioned. Until 1977 it was in use by the German Coast Guard as a lightship on the river Elbe. She was lavishly converted from 1987 to 1993 and rigged as a bark, after which she sailed the coastal waters of England France and Belgium. In 1985 a Dutchman bought the vessel (or what was left of it) and in 1994 she was fully restored as a barque three mast rigged ship and retrofitted as a special-purpose sail-training ship
* Built: 1911. Maximum sailing area: 1250m² IMO: 8951932
|Laid down in 1897 EUROPA is launched 1898 as a
ship-rigged steel sailing vessel at Concordia shipyard, Amsterdam for W.A.
Huygens, Bussum, Netherlands Specifications: Gt. 1,911. 258,7' x 42' x 23,6'
(23' drought) one cabin with two berths for passengers. 26 sails with
2.037 sq.m. sail area. crew 25.
Her maiden voyage was from Amsterdam to Batavia (Indonesia) arriving after a slow passage of 99 days. On 9 March , she left New-York with a full cargo of paraffin in casks, bound for Adelaide, Australia. She arrived on May 19, after a passage of only! 71 days. This stunning quick voyage gave her the nickname "The Flying Dutchman" in shipping circles. After returning to New-York, she made a second voyage to Adelaide in 77 days, another record voyage. She mode two-more consecutive voyages between New Zealand and Batavia via the turbulent Strait of Torres. In 1904, she arrived at Rotterdam for her last voyage under Dutch flag.
After several voyages between 1905 and 1908, she was put on the sole list, due to her poor financial results after her last voyages, and at that time, was the last tall ship in the Dutch fleet. She was bought in 1909 by A/S Lotos (J.A. Henschien & Co.), Tvedestrand, Norway, renamed LOTOS.
In August 1916, she was sold to A/S Oddero and registered in Norway. She retained her name. She was renamed ASRA in January 1917 - same owners.
On May 5, 1917 , while on a voyage in ballast from Belfast to New York, she was stopped after the submarine U-58 fired four loaded shots into her rigging. Her crew went into the ships boats, and she was sunk by gunfire 140 nm. NW of Tory Island, Ireland. One of the lifeboats was found after 38 hours by the Danish ship HANS BORGE. However, this ship was later that day torpedoed and sunk 10 miles from Balderic. The crew, including the rescued sailors from ASRA, got away in lifeboats, and after 15 hours, landed at Balderic, Ireland The second lifeboat from ASR reached Innistchurch, Ireland after 50 hours.
|This page was published initially between April and July 2010 in Log Book|
Click below for the pages list
Page on line on: